The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) is warning operators their trailers will now need to be registered before embarking on international journeys.

Hauliers using a trailer abroad after March 28, 2019 will need to register the unit through DVLA’s ‘Register your trailer to take it abroad’ service.

The trailer registration scheme has been put into force as a result of the UK ratifying the UN 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic. Trailers in the mandatory categories must be registered when used internationally in countries that have ratified the Convention.

Registration is mandatory for all commercial use trailers travelling internationally with a gross weight of over 750 kg.

It is also mandatory for non-commercial use trailers that travel internationally and have a gross weight over 3500 kg. Non-commercial trailers that weigh less than 3500 kg can be registered voluntarily, but there is no legal requirement.

Once a trailer is registered, DVLA will issue a secure trailer registration certificate by post and send email confirmation – which includes authorisation to get a number plate made up for the trailer.

The number plate must be displayed on the trailer and the registration certificate must be available to present to a foreign authority upon request.

It costs £26 to register a trailer for the first time, £21 to issue a new registration certificate for a new registered keeper, and £10 for a replacement UK trailer registration certificate.

DVSA said that irrespective of registration, some EU and EEA countries may also require a separate Green Card as proof of trailer insurance. Those travelling with a trailer will need to contact their insurance provider to get two Green Cards: one for the towing vehicle, and one for the trailer.

However, DVSA said this does not mean separate insurance will need to be purchased.

More information: